Choosing the right special education attorney requires careful consideration of several factors. Here are some steps to help you find a qualified and experienced special education attorney:
- Research: Start by researching special education attorneys in New York. You can do this by searching online or asking for recommendations from friends, family, or professionals who have dealt with special education law.
- Check qualifications: Once you have a list of potential attorneys, check their qualifications. It is important to check if they specialize in special education law. Many attorneys will say they do “some special education work.” That’s not good enough.
- Experience: Look for an attorney who has experience handling special education cases in New York. Ask how many cases they have handled, and what their success rate is.
- Reputation: Check the attorney’s reputation by reading reviews and testimonials from past clients. You can also check their disciplinary record with the New York State Bar Association.
- Consultation: Schedule a consultation with the attorney to discuss your case. During the consultation, ask about their approach to handling cases, their fees, and any other questions you may have. Some attorneys may charge for a consultation and others may not. An attorney’s approach is very important. Different attorneys have different personalities. Maybe you want more “hand holding.” Maybe it doesn’t matter to you. Some are more responsive than others. Some attorneys are more aggressive than others. No one approach is the right one. The right one is the one that you are most comfortable with.
- Communication: Choose an attorney who communicates well and is responsive to your needs. They should be able to explain legal concepts in a way that you can understand. Some attorneys are less patient.
- Cost: Consider the cost of hiring a special education attorney. Some attorneys charge a flat fee, while others charge an hourly rate. Litigation can be very expensive. Make sure you understand their fee structure before hiring them.
Remember, selecting the right attorney can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case. So, take your time and choose an attorney who has the experience, skills, and knowledge to represent you effectively.